The charity sector is one sector which uses outbound telemarketing heavily in order to gain new donors, one-off donations and to upsell to existing donors. Some work is done by volunteers but over the years, there has been an increased used of outsource telemarketing companies in order to raise these funds. Charities are often torn between whether to do this offshore on onshore. Charities tend to be very sensitive about their brands and very sensitive about their data getting into the wrong hands. It is for these reasons that they tend to use Uk based outsourcing companies. On the other hand, they are very sensitive about spending too much of their donors' money and for certain charities, they are keen to support trade and employment in developing nations and so use offshore call centres. I have worked with a number of charities over the years on some very interesting projects such as the following:
- Calling existing donors who have not registered for gift aid to do so. This has been very successful.
- Call people who have previously enquired about sponsorship or donors to get them to donate.
- Used lifestyle surveys to generate leads of potential donors or sponsors.
- Contact exisiting donors to ask for additional funds for specific projects
- Contact new donors to explain how their money will be spent.
- Get new participants for lotteries.
There are now a number of call centre companies who focus exclusively or heavily in the charity fundraising sector